Hiccups remain a mystery in the medical community. we’re not really sure where they come from and what they do for us.
But what we do know is that a it is kind of like a forest intake of air most likely caused by a muscle spasm in the esophagus or the swallowing tube. The hicks sound that you hear is the snap closure of the glottis which separate the feeding tube from or the swallowing tube from the breathing tube.
Most hiccups triggers are associated with temporary bloating of the stomach. That might be over eating or rapidly eating, even gulping down big drinks especially carbonated ones can cause hiccups.
Even being suddenly excited or scared, can cause that repetitive involuntary contraction of the diaphragm.
Most Hiccups will go away on their own within an hour or with various remedies. Anything that lasts over an hour should be brought to the attention of your physician.
Now let’s discuss some common methods or you can say remedies, through which we can control our hiccups to an extent.
- Holding your breath as much long as you can, than release slowly. Repeat at least for 5 minutes.
- Breath in and out in a paper bag. Do not use plastic bag.
- Bend forward to compress your chest, which puts pressure on your diaphragm.
- Slowly drink warm water.
- Stop focusing on hiccups. Try to distract yourself with some other activities.
- Gargling with cold water.
- Moreover, pull hard on your tongue.
- Eat a table spoon full of honey.
- Squeeze your nose closed while swallowing water.
- Lie down, turn your head to the left, now massage the artery on the right side in a circular motion for 5-10 seconds.
In conclusion, these are some common solution which might work to control your hiccups. However, do not forget to consult with a doctor if these last for longer than usual period.
Don’t forget to read How Can You do Blood Detoxification & Purification At home